Can you overdose on Iodine?
This question comes up periodically, and today we want to give you an answer.
The short answer is that Iodine isn’t a drug.
You can overdose on a drug, BUT Iodine is a trace mineral that is needed by every cell of the body.
In order of importance, we believe iodine is number 4 on the list.
The list goes like this:
- Air – Without oxygen you begin to die after a few minutes.
- Water – You can live without water for a few days, a week maximum, before you die from dehydration.
- Salt – Apparently, you can live without salt for one month before your systems begin to crash and you die. (They used this as a form of torture in the Dark Ages)
- Iodine – Without healthy levels of iodine, your quality-of-life declines, to the point where you are just scraping by as we want to demonstrate in the article below.
Overdosing on iodine would be extremely difficult to do, in the same way that you don’t overdose on water or salt.
People occasionally die from overhydration, but only because they lacked minerals, and overdosing on salt would be extremely difficult, because your body will vomit it back up first.
That said, the lowest lethal dose of iodine is 2000 to 3000 mgs, which would be equivalent to 10 bottles of iodine or 2000 drops taken all at once.
(If you have any nodules on your thyroid you have to make sure that none of them are considered “hot”. If they are, you shouldn’t take iodine until you have had them removed.)
People have mentioned that they get detox symptoms after they start taking iodine.
These can be headaches, lethargy, skin rashes, foggy brain, and so on, and we usually suggest you slow down on the iodine and drink more water/salt and start again a few days later.
Considering that 1 of 8 women in the US get breast cancer and there are other cancers and diseases associated with iodine deficiency, for instance prostate cancer… it is worth persisting with your iodine drops.
We found a study done in the early 1900 where 6000 mg of iodine was given to patients for syphilis and chronic lung ailments for 30 days.
It cured them.
It was estimated that the average person received between 100 and 1000 mg of iodine daily in the early 1900’s.
About 50% of iodine is held in the thyroid, 20% is held in your skin, (if you are depleted of iodine your skin can’t sweat) and 32% in your muscles (if your muscles are depleted, you can suffer fibromyalgia type symptoms, or other aches and pains).
Iodine deficiency throughout pregnancy contributes to higher rates of ADD in children as well as cognitive decline and mental retardation.
Studies also show that iodine prevents atherosclerosis and coronary heart disease development.
Iodine is also critical to all hormone production, not just thyroid hormone.
The following information is directly for Dr Jorge Flechas who shares important iodine information on his website and YouTube.
He claims that:
- The lack of iodine in prenatal vitamins is a public health disaster. Pregnant women need at least double the dose just to help her deal with pregnancy.
- Iodine increases your pH, in other words it is a safe alkalizer.
- Iodine deficiency creates intellectual deficiency.
- Iodine is needed by every cell of the body. Problems of iodine are affecting the whole body, as is seen in the American population, with 1 in 2 getting cancer or heart disease and 50% of the population is overweight. Two-thirds of Americans aged 25 and older — 75 percent of men and 67 percent of women — are either overweight or obese.
- Iodine is needed by the thyroid, adrenals, ovaries, prostate.
- Iodine is needed for healthy breast tissue.
- Iodine is anti fungal, anti viral, anti parasitic.
- Iodine loosens the mucous in asthmatics so it is easier to breathe.
- ADHD is treatable with iodine.
- It helps in the treatment of atherosclerosis because it keeps your blood vessels healthy.
- Helps with diabetes,
- Keloids, or scar tissue,
- Surgical wounds, and
- Helps to detox from fluoride, bromide and chloride, which are in our drinking water, foods and household products as well as furniture, cars and toys.
You can’t escape these toxins, but you can help your body remove them before they settle in your tissues and organs.
The best time to start your iodine supplementation is now!
If you need any further information or if you have any questions you can ring us on 03 64283007 or email us on email@example.com.
To make an appointment with Grada or Pete click here.
We are open Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays – 9 AM to 5 PM.
Back by Popular Demand !!
Join Love Your Guts founder Caleb, for a fun, hands-on, and informative morning of everything fermented and gut healthy.
With a background in natural health and nutrition, Caleb is a wealth of knowledge and loves to share his passions of food and gut health.
Caleb will explain why fermented ‘living’ foods should be part of our everyday diet now more than ever:
- Date: Saturday, 30 July 2022
- Time: 09:30 AM to 12:30 PM
- Address: 47 Wilmot Road, Forth
- Investment: A$119.00 per person