What can you learn from your immediate environment?
A lot more than you think! Have a look at your car for instance. Is it spic and span? Are objects safely stacked in their own little hidey holes? That most likely means that your bills and invoices are all ticked off and filed in orderly fashion. You plan everything in advance. You like life to be predictable and structured, without pleasant or unpleasant surprises along the way.
On the other hand, if your car is bursting at the seams with kid’s clothes, squashed strawberries, busted lipsticks, scrunched up dockets, kids school awards, oddly dried up sandy towels from last summer’s beach picnic and other un-mentionable relics, chances are that not only your car is weighed down, your finances might be at breaking point as well. Not that you are aware of that, because it is years since you last checked your bank statement. You are too busy living in the moment or catching up on last month’s chores, always running low on time or resources.
These examples are a gross generalization of course, but the point is, we can learn a lot about ourselves from the way we treat our vehicles, eat our food and manage our time or money.
In short, our cars can be a reflection of our innermost relationship with ourselves. We are such complex beings that when it comes to knowing ourselves, we can’t see the trees for the forest.
They say that the longest journey we will ever make is the journey from our head to our heart. It is more challenging than climbing Mount Everest. The most difficult person to get to know, love and accept is yourself. And yet that is the purpose of life. Thankfully the Universe is aware of our plight and gives us pointers along the way. The inside (or outside) of our car can be like a road sign.
If that is the case, how about our homes? A couple of years ago I wrote an article ‘your home is like your body’ https://www.purplehousenaturaltherapies.com.au/your-home-is-like-your-body/
Could the inside or outside of our homes tell us something about ourselves too? This notion may not be as strange as it seems. After all we spend most of our lives in our homes. We are made of dust, the same as our houses. The atoms that make up our bodies were once forged inside the stars, the same as the materials in our homes. We think of our houses, cars and appliances as inert objects, but if we were to zoom in closer they too are made of the same moving particles. Everything is made of atoms and subatomic particles and we are connected in incomprehensible ways to our living quarters. Our homes absorb our vibes (energy made up of our feelings, thoughts and intentions). It only requires a small leap of imagination that they form an extension of our energy field and start expressing the issues in our tissues that we would otherwise remain unaware of.
Take my chimney for instance. Have you ever seen a silver birch growing out of the top of a chimney? I hadn’t, till I looked up one day and noticed a silver birch toddler happily waving down at me. If the Universe had a lesson in mind, I wonder what it could be. To a left-brain thinker, it would simply mean that the chimney needs a good spring-clean. The inside of the chimney hasn’t seen any smoke for well over 70 years. Our house was built in 1880 and it used to be the Manse. It has a tiny little front room with a fire place in it. We suspect that the little room was a waiting room for people who needed to see the pastor. One thing is for sure, the chimney would have heard and seen it all in its heyday, but it would never have dreamt that it would become a rooftop garden after decades of redundancy. Perhaps it was trying to block its ear after all those years.
A bird could have dropped some silver birch seeds into the layers of creosote, which would have made perfect germinating conditions for this little sapling. Every day I walk past it triggers a flood of right brain thoughts in my body. My right brain is a firm believer that there is no such thing as Coincidence. Seemingly random events that happen ‘to’ us are not random at all. They happen ‘for’ us, at the right time and in perfect alignment with our highest potential.
If my house is symbolic of my body and if there was such a thing as house-mind-body connection a silver-birch growing from my silver birch sprouting chimney could signify Candida overgrowth. Candida is really an expensive name for a Yeast Infection, which is something I see in my clients every day.
You may not have heard of Candida, but you might come across the term Leaky Gut. Leaky gut is often caused by Candida and affects millions of people from all walks of life, but it is not medically recognized and there is no conclusive medical test for it.
How does Candida get a foothold in our bodies? Candida belongs in our intestines, in the same way as a silver birch tree belongs in the soil. This is its normal rightful place. Problems occur when the Candida takes over the digestive tract and finds its way into the vagina, sinuses and mouth, and in between the toes. Areas that are warm and damp allow the yeast to proliferate. Then it can burrow deeper into the system and get into various organs. It can form a mass around the heart and liver, the reproductive system and a carpet like mass can wrap around the spinal cord and into nerves and the brain.
We’d better make sure we get rid of the silver birch before its roots move into our spare bedroom, and its tentacles take over the front of the house, I am thinking as while I am taking a few photos. Imagine if the tree kept growing: the tree trunk would eventually fill up the entire chimney and dislodge the bricks. The mortar would crumble and the whole thing would disintegrate, undermining the structure of the house. Candida is called ‘the slow or silent killer’ and its action in our body is very like the silver birch in my chimney.
Let’s get back to the small intestine, where this problem started. Our small intestine is not small at all, it is huge: when you uncoil it, it turns out to be about 4 to 5 meters in length. If you were to iron it out, it would be the size of a tennis court. It’s classified our second brain, because it is highly intelligent. It knows when to allow nutrients into the blood stream and when to block harmful microbes and toxins, not unlike the chimney that funnels the smoke out the top, instead puffing it back into our living quarters.
The walls of the intestine consist of a single layer, about the thickness of an eyelid. Alcohol, foods and medications can affect the integrity of this lining causing this filter to become leaky. The main culprit is Candida Albicans. Candida is kept in check by your immune system. Your beneficial bacteria are experts in keeping Candida under control. Issues arise when you have taken antibiotics, eat too much sugar or carbohydrates, take contraceptives, drink too much beer or alcohol or use ant-acids for reflux or take anti-inflammatory drugs, which all upset the balance in favour of the Yeast and to the detriment of your good critters. Candida thrives on sugar, so Diabetics are especially prone to Yeast Infections.
Every day we hear about the latest nuclear bomb threat, terrorist attack, job losses or global warming, but nothing poses as great a risk to you and me as our own internal environment. We never hear anything about Candida or Yeast Infections in the News. Just because alarms don’t go off, lights don’t flash and the police doesn’t pounce on us with each mouthful of fruit, bread, pasta, potato, ice-cream, cake, biscuit or chocolate we consume, we are lulled into a false sense of security. We are unaware of the fact that Candida is eroding our health by stealth. (Some health experts believe Candida to be the precursor to Cancer, AIDs or auto-immune disorders.)
Candida competes with our body for nutrients and will create deficiencies in iron, zinc, selenium, which are all vital to our immune system. There are many ways Candida can turn your body into a pile of compost, which is its aim. First, it weakens you, then it floods your body with toxins like acetaldehyde/formaldehyde, which gives you the feeling of a constant hangover. These toxins accumulate in your brain, spinal cord and muscles, causing brain fog, muscle weakness and pain, and a list of chronic medical conditions, which will then be treated by drugs (like steroids) which boost more Candida growth.
Candida produces toxins which erode the immune system, causing throat infections, runny noses, sinus issues or IBS, skin rashes or proriasis. It is easy to see who is winning in this situation: not you! …. But I have never suffered from Candida, you might say. You mean that you have never been diagnosed with Candida, the reason being that there is no medical diagnosis. It is up to YOU to diagnose yourself so please take a few extra minutes to answer this questionnaire. You answer each question with a yes or a no, which you add up at the end. Please share this questionnaire with your loved ones.
- Have you taken repeated rounds of antibiotic drugs?
- Have you taken cortisone?
- Have you ever taken birth control pills?
- Have you ever had jock itch or athlete’s foot?
- Do you have anal itch or rash?
- Have you ever had thrush?
- Do you drink coffee or coke?
- Have you ever had a fungal infection around or under the finger or toe nails or on the skin?
- Do you have mercury/silver fillings in your teeth?
- Have you ever had a series of X-rays?
- Do you have recurring ear infections?
- Are you troubled by PMS, abdominal pains, prostatitis, vaginitis, or a loss of libido?
- Do you crave sugar, sweets, breads or alcoholic drinks?
- Are you sensitive to smells like perfumes, tobacco, or other odours?
- Do you have recurrent digestive disorders?
- Are you bothered by memory loss, fatigue, moodiness, depression or nerve loss?
- Do you have psoriasis, hive or chronic skin disorder?
- Do you feel sick all over?
- Do you suffer from headaches, muscle or joint pain?
- Do you have dry mouth or sore throat?
- Do you have bad breath?
- Do you suffer from insomnia or drowsiness?
- Do you suffer from diarrhoea or constipation?
- Do you have bloating, burping or gas?
- Do you have a white mucous film on your tongue in the morning?
If you have answered YES 3 to 4 times Candida possibly plays a role in causing your symptoms.
If you have answered YES 5 or 6 times, Candida probably plays a role in causing your symptoms.
If you have more than 7 YES answers your problems are almost certainly yeast connected.
Now that we have established that Candida is something we can’t afford to ignore, let’s look at some simple solutions that work well.
- Starve the yeast by eating a Paleo, low carb high fat diet. That means lots of good fats every day, like organic butter, coconut oil, olive oil and meat fats. These will fill you up so you don’t feel hungry. Aim for around 50% fats in your daily diet and no less than 3 tablespoons. Eat unlimited organic vegetables (minimize potatoes because they are too starchy) and eat plenty of decent quality proteins, like organic eggs, meat or activated nuts. Cut out fruits, sugars, juices, alcohol and refined carbohydrates.
- Coconut has antifungal properties, which makes it extra good to combat Candida
- Iodine drops. Iodine kill Candida on contact. Iodine also kills cancer cells which may have developed from a Yeast infection. Have your 5 drops in water every morning.
- Boron is the cheapest Candida fighter of all. Have a big pinch of Boron twice daily.
- Boost your levels of beneficial bacteria. The healthy bacteria crowd out the bad ones and leave no room for Candida to grow and flourish. Fact: 500 ml of fresh yoghurt has around 1.5 trillion beneficial organisms, while 500 ml of home-made kefir (which costs you next to nothing) contains…..5 trillion living beneficial friendly bacteria. Replenish your army of good critters with cultured or fermented foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, fermented butter, kefir or fermented drinks like kombucha and water kefir. Book in for Caleb’s fermenting class on the 6th May, find out how easy this really is, and your health will skyrocket!
- Supplements like Probiotics for Everyone, Immunosynbiotic, Syntol, Detoxicator, Yeast Ex, Fermented Olive leaf extract are stocked at the Purple House to support your body to eliminate Candida. Shop online at purplehousenaturaltherapies.com.au
- Remember to have regular Kinergetic sessions. During this treatment your minerals levels will be balanced, Candida will be corrected, allergies can be identified, and energy blocks that undermine your immune system will be removed. Kinergetics is a very fast form of energy medicine. ($100 per hour)
- Consume the Purple House breakfast smoothie, which you can find at https://www.purplehousenaturaltherapies.com.au/understanding-cancer-ways-to-improve-your-chances/
Last but not least, here is a possible mind-body connection: Being a host to a Yeast Infection/ Candida may mean that you are being too good a host, always looking after others or allowing too many people to be in your personal space. Do you find it hard to ask for or receive help? Here are some Young Living Oil suggestions that can support you:
- Soak in a bath with 5 drops of Tea tree, Myrrh and Lavender, mixed with Epsom Salts
- Peppermint assists you to reconnect with your true purpose in life
- Black pepper reminds you that YOU oversee your destiny and supports you in self respect
- Lemon blows away confusion and sharpens your focus, clears your head and stimulates your progress. Add drops in all your drinking water to keep your cells humming away.
- Joy to connect with your heart, the centre of self-love and self-worth. Rub a few drops on the centre of your chest while you affirm: “I am free to be me” or “it is safe to be myself”
- Cedarwood supports you with stability and courage.
- Vetiver helps you to face your shadows and creates balance between the heart, body and mind, shedding what’s no longer needed, making room for new life. Every Monday night I share information about Young Living Essential Oils in our teaching space at 47 Wilmot Rd, Forth, starting at 7 pm. These evenings are free of charge and open to young and old alike.
Even though we live at a time where conditions are right for Candida to flourish, and millions upon millions of people are going from one doctor to the next while destroying their immune system with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs, we are also very lucky that there are many high-quality supplements, foods and therapies available to us today. There are 100 trillion microorganisms living in our body, all working towards our highest good. Every choice we make bring us closer to death or closer to life. It is up to you to start realizing that you oversee your internal environment. You are the biggest influence when it comes to your health, not your genes, your history, your doctor or your partner.
Most of us have a habit to disconnect from our bodies. We don’t know how we feel anymore, or what we feel at any given time. We often ignore our hunches. It can be a fun and rewarding exercise to start paying attention to our surroundings for clues. Have another look at your car, your home, your garden. Yes, your garden often spontaneously grows the weeds/herbs that your body needs to get well. (I will leave that for another blog). Even our pets or children can give us subtle (or not so subtle) hints as to where we rank on the scale of health/wellbeing/sanity.
As for the silver birch in our chimney: removing it will be another job for my surefooted hubbie. I know that he will allow the tree to enjoy its final days on top of the world, basking in the autumn sun. Once the tree has lost its leaves, he will carefully remove it and lovingly plant it in a special corner of our forest, where it belongs. Our chimney might be free from trees for a while, or it might grow an oak tree next. I guess that would prove that there is a witch in the house… Grada
PS: Join Caleb for his fearless food fermenting workshop Saturday morning 6th May 9.30 till 12.30 @ 643 Forth Rd Forth. P: 64283007 to book your spot. $110 per person. You will learn how to make Kefir, Sauerkraut, kimchi, Kvass, Sourdough and how to get stronger and healthier!